Wednesday, November 23, 2011

West Elm Knock-off Doormat

Hey there Readers!

I really can't believe that the holidays are already here. To be honest, I'm not really ready for it. Usually I already have my house decorated well before Thanksgiving but I think between carrying around a little muffin-lette (who is currently moving around like crazy) and making things to sell at local craft fairs it came way too fast. Did I mention that the weather has been more unusual than normal here in Texas? Driving home from work today, it was 70 degrees! What kind of holiday weather is that?!?

So for those looking for a few home decor projects to do for the holidays look no more!

West Elm knock-off Doormat

I subscribe to the CasaSugar blog and the other day there was a list of ideal gifts to give for the new homeowner. One of the items on this list were these cute but simple holiday doormats from West Elm.

I absolutely love their designs, however with the holidays coming up and a baby on the way there was no way I could justify a $30 price tag. So, then I thought...I can do that! It might not be perfect but I can still get a similar effect for about half the cost.


Items you'll need:
  • Outdoor doormat - I found mine at Walmart for $7 - it wasnt exactly like the one in the picture above but it did have the jute material in the center of the mat
  • Spray Paint of your desired color - For this project I tried going with fabric spray paint and wasnt completely thrilled with the lack of color vibrancy. Plus it set me back $5 whereas Rustoleum would cost a little less
  • Thin cardboard or posterboard
  • Scissors
  • Some basic drawing skills
Isn't he cute?

So, anyone who has known me for any length of time knows I love bunnies. So I thought it was very fitting to make a bunny image on my doormat.  First, grab your poster board and sketch your bunny design. I did a quick Google image search and found some silhouette images of bunnies and chose one that would be easy to replicate.

Once you are satisfied with your design carefully cut out your image - the outline will be your template. The actual bunny cut out can be used for another project if you want.



Next, setup your workstation in a well-ventilated area that you can get messy. I have a small paint booth I made for myself out of a portable closet so I can paint anytime I want, but if you don't have something like that available, newspaper or a garbage bag will be more than sufficient. Arrange your template on top of your mat and start spraying.

Voila! You're done! I'd recommend leaving your mat there overnight so it dries completely. I love how simple this project was. It also gives you plenty of flexibility to customize it to your liking (I'm thinking monogramming and other embellishments).


The whole project probably took me about 30 minutes to do from start to finish which is great because Sleepy Muffins tend to get a bit impatient if a project takes too long. 

A few things I discovered with this project:
  • Make sure you find something to weigh down your template. I noticed when I was spraying my mat that the paint caused the paper to curl up fairly quickly so I didnt get very sharp lines on my finished mat.
  • As I mentioned before: try out regular spray paint instead of fabric spray paint. I thought it would be alright for this mat but it didn't give me a vibrant enough color.
Well until next time Readers, Happy Thanksgiving!

The Little Sleepy Muffin

1 comment: